Although sweet potatoes are sweet in flavour, they only have a medium G.I. so they won't give you a quick blood sugar rush and then leave you desperate for more food an hour later. This soup should satisfy your hunger and keep you going for a while. The garam masala seeds still remain partly intact after the soup has been liquidised, and so you can enjoy tiny bursts of flavour with each delicious mouthful.
Here's the recipe:
Sweet Potato and orange soup with garam masala
Knob of butter
1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
1 onion, sliced
450g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp whole garam masala*
Zest of one orange
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- Gently saute the onion with the butter and oil until soft.
- Add the garam masala seeds and stir around for a minute until the delicious aroma of the spices starts to release.
- Add the sweet potatoes and the orange zest. Stir around for a few moments and then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 25 minutes or so until the potatoes are really tender.
- Whizz it all up until smooth, season with salt and serve with some lovely crusty wholemeal bread. You could decorate the soup with some orange zest and some coriander leaves.