Monday, January 21, 2008

FLM Course

I have just downloaded the course for the London Marathon and am relieved to see that it is not too hilly. It seems impossible to find a flattish course for a long run in Bristol that is not completely waterlogged and I am getting quite fed up with hills. I know it is good for you to do hill training, but I would love to do a nice flat run for a change. Yesterday's 13 miles was hard work. In fact I can safely say that it was one of the hardest runs I have ever done! It was raining, very windy and hilly. My legs felt tired after about 7 miles. Luckily, Mark (hubby who has taken on the role of my personal trainer...and does it brilliantly, I have to say) was with me to keep me going.

Got home feeling a bit sorry for myself and was faced with piles (literally) of very muddy rugby kit x 3, no hot water and a broken tumble dryer. Plus lunch to prepare, followed by helping the kids with their homework and music practice. At 4 pm the extended family was due to arrive for a post-Christmas present session and Sunday roast. Lunch was dealt with by my fantastic 14 year-old daughter, who managed to rustle up bacon, tomato and watercress sandwiches on the fennel and poppy seed bread I made on Saturday and some butternut squash and sweet potato soup. Yum. It is funny how food can make you feel so much better...the washing got done and somehow I managed to produce a roast leg of lamb, roast pots, parsnips, some delicious veggies and homemade mint sauce, followed by rice pud and baked apricots in the evening. Feeling pretty exhausted today though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
If you want a longer flatter and drier run, you could do worse than try the cycle path. I have run down the Glos Rd, through St Paul's and Easton (about 2miles) and then on the cycle path as far as you want. It is a very gentle uphill for the first 5m before levelling off. I did that for some of last year's 20m runs and it worked well.
Mark

foodierunner said...

Yes I've done that run, but I wouldn't do it alone. I've heard some pretty nasty stories of attacks along that path. It would certainly be less windy though...and puddle-free! Maybe I should try it for my long Sunday run which will be with my running chums, I hope. Thanks, Mark. Kate