Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tagliatelle with walnuts


Walnuts are a great superfood. They are high in omega-3 fatty acids and anti-oxidants. My parents have a walnut tree in their garden in France, so I am constantly trying to find uses for them. It is much easier and just as healthy to buy them ready-shelled but unfortunately for me I have to spend hours cracking them, trying to get through the enormous bag my parents bring home for me. We had this tagliatelle last night. It was nice and light and a good way of getting some more carbs into my system. I am starting to feel full of energy - I am eating really well yet I am not running the mileage that I am used to (yes, I am feeling a bit like a dog that needs to be taken out for a walk this afternoon!)

I used green spinach tagliatelle...



Tagliatelle with walnuts
Serves 4
4 servings tagliatelle - about 400g
1 large shallot
1 clove garlic
4 handfuls walnuts, broken up but not chopped up too small, gently roasted
large bunch of fresh parsley (flat-leaved)
zest of a lemon plus its juice
freshly ground black pepper
salt
25g parmesan cheese
olive oil (extra virgin)
  1. Cook the tagliatelle according to pack instructions.
  2. Meanwhile, gently fry the shallot in a large pan in a good amount of olive oil. Add the garlic, parsley, walnuts and lemon zest.
  3. Transfer the pasta to the pan with a pasta spoon and toss the pasta and the walnut mixture together. Add some pasta water and some tasty extra virgin olive oil to keep the mixture from becoming sticky.
  4. Season with salt, black pepper, lemon juice and serve with a good helping of parmesan shavings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK Kate!! Have really enjoyed your blog and intend to cook some of your dishes soon.

Have you ran a marathon before? Do you have any time /goal in mind?

Christine and Nick x

foodierunner said...

Thanks for the good luck message!

Yes, this is my fourth marathon (I've done New York, Amsterdam and Berlin over the past few years). I would really like to beat my best time of 3hrs 44 and am secretly hoping to finish up in under 3hrs 40 this time. I suppose now it will be a case of how I feel on the day.

The Running Fitness article should be published in this month's edition, which comes out on 11th April.

Can't wait till Sunday!
With best wishes,

Kate