The run was good. Despite the hills, I honestly felt good until about mile 15, when I started clock-watching, slowing down and dreaming of home. The weather was superb - one of those beautiful sunny, chilly mornings - and I managed to keep up a steady 8 minute mile pace. There was no way, however, that I could have run another 9 miles at this stage and just the thought of it fills me with dread....
"Boost your system" spaghetti
large pack of spinach
pack of mushrooms, sliced
small red chilli or a red pepper, sliced finely
2 cloves garlic, cushed
8 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped, or a pack of lardons/pancetta cubes
small pot of creme fraiche
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- Cook the spaghetti according to instructions in plenty of salted water
- Meanwhile, gently fry the bacon, mushrooms and red chilli in some olive oil until cooked
- When the spaghetti is ready, drain it and then return it to the saucepan (with a ladleful of the cooking water)
- Add the bacon, mushrooms and chilli and stir in the raw spinach and garlic.
- On the lowest possible heat, add the creme fraiche, the parmesan, the seasoning and then at the very last minute, crack in the eggs.
- Serve in big pasta bowls with extra shavings of parmesan and black pepper and a green salad with a lovely dijon mustard dressing on the side