Monday, February 18, 2008

Orange Marmalade Cake

I had no problem with my 5 mile recovery run today; things are going well and my legs feel good for having had a rest last week. I must have gone at the right speed on my long 18 miler and I must have eaten the right combo of food. I have to say that I really tried to eat something within the first 15 minutes of finishing the run, as this helps recovery enormously. I stopped at the local shop, bought a choc-ice and a lucozade - simple sugars to replenish the muscles quickly and then ate a large slice of the marmalade cake I had made when I got home.

This is a new recipe that I tried on impulse a couple of days ago - Sultana Bran is a favourite breakfast of mine at the moment and the recipe was on the pack. I changed it a little and the outcome was quite delicious, with lovely lumps of caramelised orange from the marmalade:

For the cake:
175g butter (softened)
175g demerara sugar
175g wholemeal self-raising flour
100g crushed sultana bran
75g sultanas
75g chopped walnuts or pecans (optional to make it more healthy)
3 tablespoons coarse cut marmalade (I used Frank Cooper's Oxford Vintage, but a sweeter marmalade will give a sweeter result)
2 tbs golden syrup
grated rind of one lemon and one orange
juice of one orange
3 eggs
For the icing:
400g cream cheese
100g icing sugar
lemon or orange zest
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line an 8 inch (20cm) round cake tin. Line well as the cake tends to burn around the sides.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in the egg, and then fold in the flour, zest, juice, sultana bran, sultanas, marmalade and golden syrup. You need the consistency to be quite loose so add some more juice if it is a bit too solid
  4. Spoon into the tin and level out the surface. Place in the oven for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours. The cake should be springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
  5. Combine the cheese, icing sugar and a little orange or lemon juice until smooth and then spread evenly over the top of the cake. Decorate with grated orange zest or some walnuts.

No comments: