Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Violetti Aubergines




My local veg. shop, Charlie Hicks (http://www.charliehicks.com/) sells the very best aubergines. They are called Violetti aubergines and they are shaped like a globe, rather than the normal long oval ones you get in the supermarket.

We had a virtually carb-free meal last night, not good for the running, but I just did not fancy any and I only had 6 miles to do the next day. Seeing as I do the cooking at home, my choice rules! Maybe my body was crying out for some protein! Anyway, we had these delicious aubergines, then grilled haloumi with parsley and sweet chilli, followed by an organic lettuce with pancetta, walnuts and wholemeal croutons (good that they were wholemeal, bad that they were fried in the pancetta fat...but yummy), in a nice dressing of virgin olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.

Aubergines contain Vitamin C and Potassium, as well as flavonoids (cancer fighting anti-oxidants). I sliced them into thick rounds and dry-fried them on the griddle. These violetti aubergines could have been eaten undressed, they were so delicious, but I drizzled a little olive oil on them and we had them with a yoghurt sauce. The yoghurt was mixed with cumin and coriander, a little sugar, salt and pepper and chopped fresh mint. I think I would salt the aubergines first if I was doing this with normal aubergines, but if you make the griddle really piping hot, you can still cook them without oil.

My 6 miler today was fine, although my legs did notice the hills after the pounding they got on Monday. Managed to do 6 x 100m sprints, but then it got too hilly.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thistlemoon said...

Sounds like an awesome meal! I just love halloumi!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!